Restoration Project of Range House - Phase One
Originally erected in Mount Gretna about 1890, this Rang House provided marksmanship trainers, military leaders, and observers a birds-eye-view of Pennsylvania National Guard marksmen honing their skills. From its lofty vantage point, it was used primarily to observe targets, provide command and control, and enhanced communication between ranges.
One of approximately 300 building transported to Fort Indian Gap in the mid-1930s, the Range House was re-erected along Range Road and used to train National Guard and active duty soldiers throughout the 1900s up to the Vietnam Conflict when electronic scoring was utilized for marksmanship exercises.
The House was moved again in 2004 to its current location, and restoration was made possible with a grant from the PA Department of Economic Development.