The armory is constructed in the Colonial Revival architectural style and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
It was built for Troop L, 103rd Calvary Unit in 1930. It is one of 15 armories built for Pennsylvania National Guard units having horses and one of four having a separate administration and stable building. It was designed by Joseph H. Kuntz of Pittsburg. Kuntz began designing armories with the W. G. Wilkens Company right after the creation of the State Armory Board in 1905.
The admisistaration building contains a dining room, a classroom, offices and storage. The stable building contains stall areas and hay and feed storage.
The first armory in Bellefonte was on the corner of North Spring Street and West Lamb Streets. It was built in 1894 by Col. W Fred Reynolds, and turned over to the local National Guard. It was the largest National Guard Armory in Pennsylvania at the time.
This armory was purchased for $20,000 as an armory for the Company B, 5th Infantry.
*History from the US Dept of the Interior National Parks Service, the Adjuct General's Report and Bellefonte Historial and Cultural Association.