Bradford Armory

Name of Armory (location):

Bradford Readiness Center

   
Secondary/Traditional
Names of Armory:

Bradford Readiness Center

   
Year Built:

2009

   
Architect/Builder:  
   
Construction Costs:  
   
County of Construction:

McKean

   
Mailing Address:

119 Airport Road
Lewis Run, PA 16738

   
GPS Coordinates:  
   
Square Footage of Armory:

27,730

   
Size of Land and Rack: 23 acres
   
Current Units in Armory:

Company C 1st Battalion, 112th Infantry

   
Past Units in Armory: Company C, 16th Infantry
   
History:

Located at Bradford Regional Airport, this 27,730 square foot readiness center strategically combined Army and National Guard units from the former Bradford, McKean County and Ridgway, Elk County, armories in support of the Army’s highly versatile Stryker armored combat vehicle. It allows outdated facilities in those communities to be closed. 

It was dedicated on April 15, 2010 by Major Gen. Jessica Wright, commander of the Pennsylvania National Guard, even though construction was completed the previous summer because the Company C 1st Battalion, 112th Infantry was deployed to Iraq in 2009.

   

 

Name of Armory (location):

Bradford Armory

   
Secondary/Traditional
Names of Armory:

Bradford Armory

   
Year Built:

1912

   
Architect/Builder:  
   
Construction Costs:  
   
County of Construction:

McKean

   
Mailing Address: 38 Barbour Street
Bradford, PA 16701
   
GPS Coordinates:  
   
Square Footage of Armory:

60-by-117-foot

   
Size of Land and Rack:  
   
Current Units in Armory:

 

   
Past Units in Armory: Company C, 16th Infantry
   
History:

Bradford Armory, is a historic National Guard armory located in Bradford, Pennsylvania, in McKean County. It was designed in the Romanesque Revival style. In 1992 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and deemed worthy of preservation by the US Dept. of the Interior. Its architectural design, "T-Shape", is unique. Only 37 armories in the United States are built in this style.

The Pennsylvania National Guard was organized in Bradford on Sept. 4, 1880, and originally kept their guns, uniforms, and equipment in the rear of the Producer's Petroleum Exchange building (currently the site of the Seneca building). Later, the Guard shared a meeting hall on Corydon Street (now Sehman's Tires) with the GAR veterans of the Civil War (Grand Army of the Republic). It was not until 1905, when the State Armory Board was created by the General Assembly, that the idea of building a new building for troop use was initiated.

Property was purchased, and construction begun. On November 26, 1912, the official dedication of Bradford's Armory was held. The Governor of Pennsylvania, John K. Tener and his staff were invited and arrived by train in Olean, NY. They were met by Captain Lester Simons of Bradford (who had served in the Spanish American War) and traveled to Bradford by a special trolley car. The state armory board members accompanied the governor, and included Samuel P. Todd, executive controller; Adjutant General Thomas Stewart; Major General C.B. Dougherty; Brigadier General William G. Price; Colonel L.A. Watres; and Col. B.W. Demming, secretary of the armory board.

*History from the Bradford Landmark Society

   
PNG Military Museum © 2009 Web Site by Center State Communications