The design for the new Readiness Center utilizes a 5,200 sq. ft. Assembly Hall as a hub for a variety of administrative, training, support and storage components around its perimeter. The Center contains an M-1Abrams tank simulator as well as maintenance training facilities for the vehicle.
The Center supports nearly 100 soldiers of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard’s Company C. It will also provides facilities that are available to the local Connellsville community for meetings and other events.
According to the report of the Adjutant General of Pennsylvani, the old Connellsville Armory, on 108 W. Washington Street, was built in 1907 by the Fayette Lumber Company in the Tudor Revival architectural style by Mark R. Hurst for Company D, 10th Regiment Infantry. Members of the Armory were appointed on September 20, 1905. This board was headed by the then governor of Pennsylvania, Edwin S. Stuart. The board reported in favor of erecting the Armory on January 10, 1906. The citizens of Connellsville raised an additional sum of $10,000 to add to state appropriations and make the total amount available to build $30,000. The Armory was placed on the National Historical Register in June of 1993.
It is on the National Register of Historic Places.