The armory is constructed in the Art Deco architectural style and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Gettysburg Armory is a one story brick building on the edge of the borough of Gettysburg, near the Gettysburg Battlefield. The administration area for this building is in the basement, and the drill hall occupies the entire first floor. The architect was John B. Hamme of York. The Gettysburg Armory is one of 17 armories constructed in Pennsylvania in 1938, built with funds from the federal Public Works Adminstration.
The Gettysburg Armory was built in 1938 for Company E of the 103rd Quartermaster Regiment of the Pennsylvania National Guard. This armoy also served as shower facilities during WWII for a local prisioner of war camp.
The armory was closed in 2010 when the newly built South Mountain Readiness Center consolidated the Stryker Brigade Combat Team’s Battery B, 1st Battalion, 108th Field Artillery. The unit had been split between facilities in Gettysburg, Pa., and Waynesboro, Pa.
*History from the National Register of Historic Places