Hazleton Armory

Name of Armory (location): Hazleton Readiness Center
   
Secondary/Traditional
Names of Armory:
Hazleton Armory
   
Year Built: 1954/2010
   
Architect/Builder: Tono Architects and Talus Design Group performed the design for the renovations and expansion in 2010.
   
Construction Costs: $5.7 million
   
County of Construction: Luzerne
   
Mailing Address: 515 E. Samuels Ave
Hazleton, PA 18201
   
GPS Coordinates:  
   
Square Footage of Armory: 13,625 SF, 11,830 SF addition in 2010
   
Size of Land and Rack: 5.2 acres
   
Current Units in Armory:

Troop A, 2nd 104th Calvary

   
Past Units in Armory:  
   
History:

Brig. Gen. James Joseph, assistant adjutant general of the Pennsylvania National Guard, dedicated the renovated Hazleton Readiness Center at on Friday, Oct. 15, at 515 E. Samuels Ave., Hazleton.

The center, built in 1954, received a 11,830 square-foot addition as part of a $5.7 million project that also included upgrades to inside and outside support facilities. The center supports 88 soldiers of Alpha Troop, 2-104th Cavalry.

With over 20,000 of additions including offices, classrooms and unit storage and maintenance facilities, the former Hazleton Armory was transformed through careful planning and renovation into a state-of-the-art military facility. Housing Troop 2-104th Cavalry Unit of the Stryker Combat Team, the Hazleton Readiness Center provides the regional offices and recruiting center for the Guard Unit along with an assembly hall and kitchen amenities.

The interior of the existing building was gutted and renovated to create new office areas, a recruiting center, a new commercial kitchen, an assembly hall, a physical fitness center and new restrooms with showers. The 11,830 SF addition includes two classrooms, offices, personnel and unit storage areas, a concrete small arms vault, and a two-bay maintenance shop. The addition is designed to meet military requirements for force protection.

   


PNG Military Museum © 2009 Web Site by Center State Communications