Borton-Lawson was selected to design the addition and alterations to the Honesdale Readiness Center, Honesdale, Wayne County, through a contract with the PA Department of General Services. This $7 million facility will incorporate sustainable design features with a targeted rating of LEED NC 2.2 USGBC Silver Certification, including an energy management control system and enhanced commissioning of HVAC/MEP systems. This project will modernize the facility to suit today’s modern mission readiness training requirements and 55 HBCT support for Homeland Security operations. It will also bring the facility up to date with the latest health, safety, and facility codes. The facility will house 135 soldiers of Company A 1-109th Infantry Battalion, PA Army National Guard.
The first armory is located at 105 East Park Street in Honesdale. In 1911 a red brick, fortress-type, Pennsylvania State Armory was built at East Park Street, Honesdale, in the shadow of Irving Cliff.
Company E needed a permanent home, or it would have had to be disbanded. A local Armory Board, consisting of John D. Weston, M. E. Simons, Judge A. T. Searle, and Homer Greene, headed a fund drive and raised the necessary monies to have the Armory built. The contract was signed on August 17, 1910. The total cost was $23,000, and the State Armory Board gave the amount allowed by law. The architects were McCormick & French of Wilkes-Bane, and Woelkers & Beilman, the contractors.
The dedication was held at the Armory on November 15, 1911. Pennsylvania Governor John K. Tener, who also was president of the State Armory Board, arrived in Honesdale on the D & H train, along with the other Board members. Hundreds of people lined the streets to greet the distinguished group. Col. Louis A. Watres. of Scranton, gave the acceptance speech, while Major General C. Bow Dougherty delivered the Armory to the custody of Company E. The building was the property of the State, but Honesdale remained its custodian.
In November 1940 the young men of Wayne County were asked to go to the Armory and join the National Guard Company H, 109th Infantry. On January 14, 1941 about thirty of them were interviewed for the World War II draft. On February 28, 1941 Company H left for Fort Indiantown Gap, and the start of their wartime service.
On November 18, 1986 the Wayne County YMCA, the present owners, purchased this property from The Town Council of the Borough of Honesdale.