Kingston Armory


Photo by Sgt. Damian-Jeffery M. Smith

Name of Armory (location): Kingston Armory
   
Secondary/Traditional
Names of Armory:
Kingston Armory
   
Year Built: 1923
   
Architect/Builder: Atherton, Thomas H.
   
Construction Costs:  
   
County of Construction: Luzerne
   
Mailing Address: 280 Market Street     
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18704
   
GPS Coordinates:  
   
Square Footage of Armory: 98,916.00
   
Size of Land and Rack: 12.70 Acres
   
Current Units in Armory:

Co G, 228th SB, HHB, 1-109th FA, HQ, 1-109TH FA

   
Past Units in Armory:  
   
History:

The armory is constructed in the Classical Revival architectural style and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

It was renovated in 2009 with funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

On 5 September 1950, the 109th was mobilized for the Korean War. On 11 September, at Coshocton, Ohio, while en route to Camp Atterbury, Indiana, a civilian train struck the battalion's troop train. Thirty-three soldiers were killed and scores wounded. A memorial is located at the Kingston Armory and a ceremony is conducted each year to commemorate the soldiers lost in the train wreck. For the remainder of the Korean War, the battalion, along with the 28th Infantry Division, served in Europe as part of the defenses against the Soviet Army.

   

PNG Military Museum © 2009 Web Site by Center State Communications