The armory is constructed in the Moderne architectural style and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The armory was closed in 2010 when the newly built South Mountain Readiness Center consolidated the Stryker Brigade Combat Team’s Battery B, 1st Battalion, 108th Field Artillery. The unit had been split between facilities in Gettysburg, Pa., and Waynesboro, Pa.
The Waynesboro armory, built in 1936, was to be appraised and sold by the Pennsylvania Department of General Services. Borough officials were trying to obtain it for the local fire department.