Waynesburg Armory

 

Name of Armory (location): Waynesburg Readiness Center
   
Secondary/Traditional
Names of Armory:
Waynesburg Armory
   
Year Built: 2010
   
Architect/Builder: Widmer Engineering
   
Construction Costs: $9.9 million
   
County of Construction: Greene
   
Mailing Address: 500 EverGreene Drive
Waynesburg, PA 15370
   
GPS Coordinates:

 

   
Square Footage of Armory: 12,513.00
   
Size of Land and Rack: 18 acres
   
Current Units in Armory:

Company B, 1st Battalion, 110th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team

   
Past Units in Armory: None
   
History:

The Waynesburg Readiness Center was built in 2010 to replace the out dated 95 year old Captain Robert C. Wiley Armory and dedicated on August 26, 2010 by BG Joseph G. DePaul.



Photo by Sgt. Damian-Jeffery M. Smith

Name of Armory (location): Waynesburg Armory
   
Secondary/Traditional
Names of Armory:
Captain Robert C. Wiley Armory
   
Year Built: 1914
   
Architect/Builder:  
   
Construction Costs: $26,897
   
County of Construction: Greene
   
Mailing Address: 61 North Washington Street
Waynesburg, PA 15370
   
GPS Coordinates:

LAT/LONG:
N39°53.828'
W080°11.221'

Elev 1060 feet

MGRS:
17S NE 69500 16658

   
Square Footage of Armory: 12,513.00
   
Size of Land and Rack: 6 acres
   
Current Units in Armory:

Company C, 1-110th Infantry

   
Past Units in Armory: Company K, 10th Infantry N.G.P
Company K, 110th Infantry
Company C, 1st Battalion, 110th Infantry
Company A, 1st Battalion, 110th Infantry
724th MP Company
Company C, 2nd Battalion, 110th Infantry
Company C, 1st Battalion, 110th Infantry
Company B, 1st Battalion, 110th Infantry
Company B (-), 1st Battalion, 110th Infantry
   
History:

The state built the Wiley armory in 1914 for about $27,000 and at the time, it was considered one of the finest buildings in the county. The large drill hall became a popular venue for wedding receptions, dances and various other community activities.

The men who reported for duty there responded to several regional disasters. They were also sent overseas. The last time the Guard unit was deployed as a whole was in 2003, when what was then Company C fulfilled a peacekeeping mission in Kosovo.

However, most of the unit went to Iraq in 2007 as part of a massive mobilization of Pennsylvania Army National Guard troops. About 20 members of the unit deployed to Afghanistan in 2009 and at any given time, local Guardsmen are serving overseas on various missions.

The Waynesburg Armory was dedicated August 8, 1999, in honor of Captain Robert C. Wiley ‘30. Wiley was killed in action by a sniper August 13, 1944, leading his company into battle against the Germans near St. Lo, France for which he was honored with the Distinguished Service Cross, the nation’s second highest award for valor. On August 3, 1944, the official order said, Wiley’s company became badly disorganized after several hours of fierce fighting. Wiley, at the risk of his own life, pulled his men together into a fighting unit. "Although painfully wounded in the cheek by small arms fire, he refused to be evacuated and personally led his company into a strongly employed enemy position and succeeded in capturing the objective."

In an engagement on August 9, 1944, most of his officers were either killed or wounded. The official order noted that Captain Wiley, although severely wounded in the leg by machine gun fire, brilliantly directed the actions of this company and personally led it forward 800 yards under heavy mortar and automatic weapons fire until he was killed by sniper fire. 

The 95-year-old building has outlived its usefulness for military purposes so the Army National Guard unit, Company B of the 1st, 110th Infantry Battalion, will move to a new $12.8 million readiness center now under construction at EverGreene Technology Park in 2010. According to Widmer Engineering, the new building will be 38,000 square feet.

*History from the Observer-Reporter


PNG Military Museum © 2009 Web Site by Center State Communications