The Soldiers' Monument, a beautiful and shapely shaft, was dedicated August 29, 1894. It was erected to perpetuate the memory of the brave men who went into the service from Jackson, Forward, Connoquenessing, Lancaster,Cranberry,Adams, Middlesex, and Penn Townships, who sleep in unknown and unmarked graves. The monument stands in the center of a plot in the Evans City Cemetery, donated to the Stewart Post, G.A.R., by the Evans City Cememtery Association.
The monument, of Quincy granite, is nineteen feet and three inches high. It is surmounted by the figure of an eagle standing on a globe. On one side is a wreath of crossed swords, and on the four sides of the die are inscribed the names of the dead whose memory the monument is designed to perpetuate. They number 45 in all. There is also inscribedon one side in plain and renduring letters, these appropriate lines:
"The muffled drum's sad roll has beat
The soldier's last tattoo;
No more on life's parade shall meet
That brave and fallen few.
On fame's eternal camping-ground
Their silent tents are spread,
But glory guards, with solemn round
The bivouac of the dead."
When the tornado went thorugh Evans City in May 1985, the monument was damaged but has been repaired. After the tornado, Tri-Boro monument Company offered their services to help restore the cemetery and reset the stones; 361 were reset. The stone was salvaged from a family mausoleum which was blown up and had to be rebuilt, and the Tri-Boro monument Company used that stone to make the marker for the entrance to the cemetery. the marker reads:
"Evans City Cemetery Association Incorporated Jan, 7 1891 - Patrick Boylan"
Taken from "The History of Evans City" by the Evans City Historical Society ©1996