PA Monuments - Erie County
- Corry VFW Veterans Memorial
This memorial stands outside the LT A.W. Thompson VFW Post 264 in Corry. It is a black marble slab with etched with the images of soldiers throughout the years. An American eagle flies just underneath these soldiers. The monument is "a loving tribute to those men and women whose dedication, courage and sacrifice cause us the freedom we enjoy today."
- Erie County WWII Memorial
The Erie County WWII Memorial is dedicated the 725 men and two women that gave their lives in service to this nation during the war years of WWII. Many, if not a majority of those listed on the memorial were never returned home for burial, and this memorial is all that is left to them in the city or county they were from. The south side of the memorial is a pictorial history of the war and features photos of many of the boys lucky enough to have made it home after the war.
Click here to visit the Erie WWII Memorial Website
The Perry memorial was constructed in 1912 after 75 years of effort by various lawmakers. The memorial stands in honor of Commodore William Hazard Perry who commanded American warships engaged against the British during the War of 1812. After suffering heavy damage, Commodore Perry escaped the wreck of his own ship only to return fighting aboard the Brig USS Niagara and single handedly defeated the British squadron with the remaining crew members of the wrecked Lawrence and the crew of the Niagara. This was the only time a naval battle was ever fought on Lake Erie. This battle was also known for Perry's famous report to General William Henry Harrison: " We have met the enemy and they are ours: two ships, two brigs, one schooner, and one sloop." Originally named the Perry Victory Monument, the name was shortened to the Perry Monument in 1972 to reinforce our peaceful relations with neighboring Canada. The Perry Monument located on is located on Presque Isle.
- U.S. Navy Seabee Memorial
This small plaque, mounted on a boulder in the near the front entrance to the Pennsylvania Soldiers' and Sailors' Home stands in honor of the U.S. Navy Construction Battalions, or "Seabees" as they were called. The construction battalions were established in 1942.
A replica of the blockhouse that was once part of the American Fort located on Presque Isle. It is named the "Wayne Blockhouse" because this is the spot where General "Mad" Anthony Wayne died while on a diplomatic mission in 1796. General Wayne was serving as the Commander-in-Chief of the Army and was appointed to this position by president George Washington. The blockhouse is now located on the grounds of the Pennsylvania Soldiers' and Sailors' Home.
Photos from PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs