PA Monuments - Lackawanna County
Photo from Jack Finnerty, Director, Scranton Public Library.
In Colonel Duffy Park on Harrison Avenue near Moosic Street.
The inscription on the upper plaque reads:
COLONEL FRANK J. DUFFY
DEDICATED MAY 30TH 1940
The inscription on the large lower plaque reads:
RABIEGA – GORGOL POST No. 3451
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS
ANTHRACITE POST No. 4
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REGULARS
AS A MEMORIAL TO THOSE
WHO HAVE ENTERED INTO
A MORE BEAUTIFUL LIFE
“1940” is engraved near the bottom of the base.
Scranton’s Doughboy is often called the “Colonel Duffy Monument” or “Fighting Colonel Monument” to recognize Lt. Col. Frank Duffy, a highly respected engineer and highest ranking area person killed in the war. He was killed by a mortar shell August 17, 1918, while stepping from a motorcycle sidecar after returning from a reconnaissance mission. He’s buried at Oise-Aisne American Cemetery north of Chareau-Thierry. The driver, PFC Frank G. Flore, was also killed. Duffy Park was set aside in 1934.
The Doughboy has experienced quite a bit of vandalism. The bayonet and rifle were repaired in 1957. It was repaired again in 1968 following extensive damage suffered when vandals tilted it to the right while trying to tear it from the base. The bayonet and rifle sling are missing and there has been deterioration due to exposure, but the Doughboy has been coated and is in relatively good condition.
- Courthouse Square - Scranton
The Lackawanna County Courthouse located in Scranton, PA is surrounded by a large yard filled with memorials and monuments of all kinds. This area has been under renovation for some time and is home to several veterans' memorials.
Civil War Monument
The tallest monument in the square is the Civil War monument. This obelisk features figures of Civil War-era soldiers and sailors. Just above the figures are the names of some of the major campaigns of the war. A figure holding a sword and an olive branch sits on the very top of the structure.
Lackawanna Veterans' Memorial
This simple slab is a memorial to all veterans past and present. It stands at the entrance into the Courthouse Square grounds, where the other monuments are located. The memorial features seals from each branch of the military.
Medal of Honor Winners
There are four Medal of Honor recipients from Lackawanna County and each one has a stone carving in their honor. Two of the recipients, Patrick Delaney and John C. Delacey, were awarded for actions during the Civil War. Two others, Gino J. Merli (also the namesake of the Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center in Scranton) and Joseph R. Sarnoski were awarded for actions during WWII.
Each of these stone plaques contain the actual text of each winner's citation to accompany the award. There is also a bronze relief sculpture of each recipient as well.
General Sheridan Monument
A monument to General Philip H. Sheridan stands to the rear of the Lackawanna County Courthouse. It features a bronze relief sculpture of the General and dates of his life. General Sheridan was most noted for his victory at Appomattox as well as laying waste to the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. He was also instrumental in the creation of Yellowstone National Park and a strong advocate for its preservation. General Sheridan, although born in New York, shares an Irish heritage with the people of Lackawanna County.
A statue of the first foreign military officer to come to the aid of the newly-formed United States of America during the Revolutionary War. Kosciuszko was sought out by the Continental Congress for his military brilliance and engineering know-how.
He was known as the father of American artillery after planning and directing artillery fire during the battle of Saratoga. This would turn out to be the first American victory over the British. He later designed and helped build the fortifications at West Point. Kosciuszko was born in Poland, but shares his polish heritage with the people of Lackawanna County.
General Pulaski Monument
General Casimir Pulaski distinguished himself as a brilliant tactician in defense of his home country, Poland, getting the attention of Benjamin Franklin, who persuaded him to support the American Forces during the American Revolution.
He was known as the "Father of the American Cavalry" since he, through the help and support of George Washington, persuaded Congress to establish the Cavalry, and placed Pulaski at the head of this new organization.
The monument is a pyramid design, with a relief of Pulaski's bust mounted on the front. It also contains a biographical description of the General and his accomplishments. The monument was dedicated in 1973 by Scranton's Polish-American Citizens.
George Washington Monument
This monument, first dedicated in 1893, commemorates our nations' first General of the Army and President. The sculpture in this monument depicts Washington giving a speech. A sword is resting against his left flank, symbolizing his military service. An eagle with outstretched wings on a shield of stars and stripes is centered near the top of the base.
Faith, Hope, and Love (Veteran's Memorial)
This memorial consists of three sided sleek, oblong stone. "Faith" is depicted as a woman holding a candle in each hand who seems to be floating on a cloud. "Hope" is symbolized by a woman standing with an anchor at her feet. "Love" is represented as a woman holding a rose with several roses at her feet.
The monument is meant to depict the faith, hope, and love of the war veterans for the nation they served. It honors the 2,000 Lackawanna County veterans died in the nation's wars of the 20th century. This design was originally developed for a cemetery in Connecticut, but was used here due to insufficient funds for a more elaborate sculpture. The monument was dedicated in 1977.
- Memorial Park - Carbondale
Across the street from the Carbondale City Hall is a small collection of monuments known as Memorial Park.
World War I & World War II Memorial
The World War I and World War II memorial is an ornate granite slab featuring the names of those who died during these wars. Placed directly in front of the monument are two 81mm mortars. The one on the left was used extensively during World War I, the one on the right was used during World War II. The monument also features an American flag.
General O'Malley Memorial
This statue of Air Force General Jerome F. O'Malley, former commander of the Tactical Air Command, sits directly behind the World War I and II memorial. O'Malley was a native of Carbondale. He was killed in a plane crash in 1985 at the Wilkes-Barre Avoca airport on his way to address a group of Boy Scouts. The statue was dedicated in May of 2008.
Civil War Memorial
The Carbondale Civil War Monument towers above the others as the tallest monument in the park. The obelisk features a statue of a civil war-era soldier and contains the names of the fallen from the area. There are also quotes from various leaders from this time. The design is very similar to the Grand Army of the Republic Civil War monuments, but this one was erected by the people of Carbondale. The base contains the names of the major campaigns on each side. There is also a commemorative plaque for Patrick Delacey, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor. The monument was originally built in 1885 and has been recently restored.
Nay-Aug Park features some of the most interesting memorials in the area. The Park is located near the Everhart Museum in Scranton.
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
This modest memorial comprised of a small granite slab surrounded by flags stands in honor of the veterans of the Vietnam war. It contains an inscription dedicating the monument and praising those who fought and died during an "unpopular war." A bronze marker on the center flag contains the official dates of the conflict.
Battleship Maine Monument
This monument honors the crew of the USS Maine, whose sinking in Havanna Harbor touched off the Spanish American War. The war raged from April to August 1898. The monument contains an actual 10-inch shell recovered from the wreckage in 1912.
Towards the rear of the park stands a granite monument with a flagpole that is dedicated to President Abraham Lincoln. Although not a veteran, Lincoln's actions during the Civil War kept the country united during one of the darkest periods of its history. The monument also contains a curious relief sculpture that looks somewhat like the portrait featured on a penny. The monument was dedicated in 1909 and is the oldest in the park.
At the intersection of Drinker Street and Prescott Avenue in Dunmore sits a monument in the form of a M60 tank from the Vietnam era. The memorial is on a small island in the center of the intersection. Several shells are positioned directly in front of the tank. A POW/MIA flag flies on a flagpole mounted directly to the tank.
Photos from the DMVA