Photo provided by SFC Martin Wubbolt, Pensylvania National Guard.
At Pennsylvania National Guard Stahr Armory, 438 North Queen Street.
The inscription on the plaque reads:
THE MEN AND WOMEN
OF THE SEVENTH WARD
WHO BY THEIR PATRIOTISM
COURAGE AND DEVOTION
THE WORLD WAR
1914 – 1918
FOR HUMANITY, LIBERTY AND RIGHTEOUSNESS
ERECTED BY THE
CITIZENS OF THE SEVENTH WARD
The Doughboy was originally dedicated November 11, 1925 at End Junior High, later known as Hand Junior High, in a ceremony in which the Lancaster Gold Star Mothers, American Legion, Knights of Malta, and students of the Junior High, played prominent roles. It was unveiled by three Gold Star Mothers, and tribute was paid to the 482 men and women of the Seventh Ward who served during the war. It was purchased with funds raised by public subscriptions of residents of the Seventh Ward, and had been in Lancaster nearly a year while an appropriate site was selected. The Doughboy is believed to have been moved to the current location sometime before 1970. By 1986 it had lost its right hand and grenade. They were restored, and the statue currently appears to be in very good condition.