The Lycoming County Veterans Memorial Park is located at Fourth Street and Wahoo Drive, in Williamsport, PA. It is administered by the Veterans Memorial Park Commission and supported by the Lycoming Veterans Council, Inc. in Williamsport. The Torpedo and propeller from the submarine USS Torsk was the first memorial established in the park which honored Lycoming County native Robert B. Logue, who died aboard the USS Wahoo, a submarine that was destroyed by the Japanese on Oct. 11, 1943.
There are also several monuments commemorating the veterans who participated in the various conflicts over the years.
From the west on Rt. 220, take the Fourth Street exit (Williamsport). Drive east on West Fourth Street and the park will be on your right.
From any other direction, take I-180 west to the West Third Street exit, turn left at the bottom of the ramp and proceed to the traffic light at Arch Street. Turn right and proceed to the next traffic light at West Fourth Street. Turn left and continue through the Newberry section, past the Williamsport High School (on the right), and continue up the hill. The park will be on the left at the intersection of West Fourth and Wahoo Drive.
WWI monument was dedicated November, 1998. It bears the names of 131 Lycoming County residents who died in that war.
WWII monument was dedicated November, 1997. The names of 415 county residents who died in WWII are inscribed on the monument.
The Korean War monument, which was dedicated in May, 2000, bears the names of 60 county resident who were killed in action.
Vietnam monument was dedicated May, 2001. The 43 county natives’ names who died in Vietnam are found on the monument.
The Global Conflicts for Peace and Freedom monument was unveiled on July 4, 2007. It is carved from black granite mined from Pennsylvania and measures 14 feet long and stands 8 feet high.
Torpedo and propeller from the USS Torsk honoring Lycoming County native Robert B. Logue, who died aboard the USS Wahoo, a submarine that was destroyed by the Japanese on Oct. 11, 1943
The Veterans Park, located Main & Water Streets in Hughesville, PA was constructed in 1989, dedicated in 1990, and rededicated in 1991. The Veterans Park is built on the playground area of the former Wolf School. Many of the town’s veterans attended this school prior to their military duty. The park is dedicated to the veterans who gave the supreme sacrifice.