PA Monuments - Snyder County

  • Beaver Springs Veterans Memorial

This memorial is not just the marker outside, but the entire building as well. The Veterans Memorial Building is a community building that can be used for all sorts of community events. It was built just after World War II and in many ways, resembles a military building from that time period. There is a dedication plaque mounted on a stone in the front yard to the citizens of Spring Township who served during WWII.

  • Beavertown Veterans Memorial

This memorial began small as a simple community victory garden during World War II. Roses were planted for each fallen soldier. In 1948, the area was dedicated in memory of the veterans from all wars. A small stone marker with a dedication plaque was placed toward the front of the garden. The garden got bigger with time as the U.S. was involved in more conflicts. On Memorial Day, 2008 the area was re-dedicated and a new, larger dedication plaque was unveiled. This new plaque contains the names of all the veterans killed from the area dating back to the War of 1812.

  • Freeburg Veterans Memorial

This modest monument is basically a flagpole with a polished granite dedication plate. The monument sits just outside the Washington Elementary School. This monument was dedicated in 2000 to all the men and women of Freeburg who have served their country.

  • Gary & Barb Auten's Marine Memorial

This memorial is a privately owned memorial that sits on private land, but is within public viewing from the roadside near Selinsgrove. The monument features the U.S. Flag, the Marine Corps flag, and the POW/MIA flag. It also has two sculptures, one is of an eagle on top of a globe and the other is a marine in dress uniform. Both sculptures are placed within a marble rock garden. The monument stands in honor of all U.S. Marines who have served.

The project started about five years ago when Gary Auten set aside a small portion of his yard to display the three flags. Auten served as a Marine from 1964 to 1968, including a tour in Vietnam. He's always loved the Marine Corps and he wanted to honor all Marines somehow, and the flag display seemed like a good way to do it.

Then, while travelling in Texas, the Autens found the sculpture of the eagle and thought it would make a great addition to the display. Then later, they found the soldier sculpture. Little by little, the monument grew into what it is today. It's a great source of pride for Gary Auten. He maintains the display all by himself and there will probably be future additions to this display.

When asked why take on such an undertaking, his answer was simply, "I love the Corps."

  • Orchard Hills Cemetery Memorial & Mausoleum

There are two memorials on the grounds of the Orchard Hills Cemetery. The Paxtonville Veterans Memorial is a small black marble monument with an inscription dedicating it to the veterans of all wars. The seals of each branch of military service are also inscribed onto the stone.



Just up the hill, overlooking the cemetery is the mausoleum, dedicated to veterans's "unselfish patriotism" in the defense of freedom. The seals of each branch of service from the World War II era are inscribed onto the surface of the building.


  • Snyder County Civil War Monument

This memorial to the soldiers of the Civil War stands across the street from one of the oldest residences in Middleburg. The memorial is a tall monument with a Civil War era soldier folding a flag and gripping his sword on the top and the base is flanked by a soldier and a sailor of the era. The dedication is a simple one, commending their loaylty to the union. Another plaque has the names of the units that participated and the major battles that took place.

The monument was restored in 2005 with $30,000 of the costs paid by the Snyder County Commissioners. Ironically enough, this wasn't what the soldiers of the Civil War had wanted. They opted for a memorial building that could also be used as a meeting hall. This decision touched off a bitter battle with the County Commissioners, who cited cost overruns as the reason for disapproval. The veterans protested this monument for many years before the Snyder County Soldiers' Memorial Building was finally constructed.

  • Snyder County Soldiers' Memorial Building

This memorial is actually a small building with the lists of those who served from every war since the Civil War posted on tablets inside. The earliest tablets with the names of the Civil War soldiers are engraved into marble panels on the wall. Each name has an indicator stating if the soldier died in combat, was wounded, or came home safely.

This memorial was the final result in a bitter battle that pitted the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) against the Snyder County Commissioners. The Pennsylvania General Assembly passed a law authorizing each county to erect and maintain monuments in their counties. A monumental shaft was erected in Middleburg, but it did not meet the desires of the veterans from that war. The members of the G.A.R. wanted to build a memorial building that could be used as a hall of remembrance and a meeting place. The problem was that the county could only fund $8,000 and the building would cost at least $10,000. The group set out to solicit donations from local veterans groups, school children, business owners and other community members. They were finally able to begin construction on this building in 1903. It was dedicated in 1906.

  • Veterans Memorial Park, Middleburg

Veterans Memorial Park is a small grove located across from the Snyder County Courthouse and next to Charles Park in Middleburg. It was installed in 1984 and a stone marker sits on the land with a dedicaton plaque mounted on it. The park was dedicated by the Snyder County Veterans Council. A flagpole is positioned just behind the marker. Just past the marker is a small wooden bridge that links the area to Charles Park.

  • VFW Post 25 Memorial Garden

The garden outside of VFW Post 25 in Selinsgrove is dedicated to the men and women of all wars. Amidst the flowers and shrubbery that grow there is a World War II era tank sitting in the middle of the flower bed. The tank appears to be keeping watch over the plants in the garden in the same manner that our soldiers keep watch over our freedom.

 


PNG Military Museum © 2009 Web Site by Center State Communications