Photo provided by Jim Tomazic, Commander, Forest City Martin Skubic American Legion Post #524.
Facing east at head of sloped walkway to main entrance of the William Penn Apartments at 331 Main Street (Route 171), a short distance south of South Street.
The inscription on the front plaque reads:
POST NO. 524, AMERICAN LEGION
FOREST CITY, PA
IN MEMORY OF THEIR
COMRADES OF FOREST CITY
AND VICINITY WHO OFFERED
THEIR LIVES IN DEFENSE
OF HUMANITY IN THE
WORLD WAR 1914 – 1918
THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
(About 20 names, including 2 female names)
A “ROLL OF HONOR,” with names of those who lost their lives in World War II is on the side below the Doughboy’s right foot and a plaque naming those who lost their lives in Korea and Vietnam is on the other side.
The Doughboy was dedicated July 7, 1927, when Public School #2 was at the location. The school burned in 1936 and was replaced by William Penn School. After the schools were consolidated, the Doughboy was moved about 25 feet to the current location when the William Penn Apartments were built in the 1970’s. It was extensively refurbished on site in 1997 by McKay Lodge Fine Arts Conservation Labs of Oberlin, Ohio.
The area is sometimes called “Memorial Park.”