PA Monuments - Wayne County

  • Central Park - Honesdale

Central Park in Honesdale is home to several veterans memorials that are all located in the same area.

Wayne County Civil War Memorial

The Civil War Memorial in Wayne County is the oldest Civil War Monument in Pennsylvania. It started as an idea by a group of women called the Soldiers' Aid Society. They sent large quantities of hosptial supplies, clothing, and other needed items to the troops during the Civil War. Originally, the monument was to be placed in a nearby cemetery, however, the location was finally moved to the park. This organization later became known as the Ladies Monumental Association and on July 4th, 1869 the monument was dedicated with a big celebraton full of speeches and marching band music. The Governor of Pennsylvania at the time, John W. Geary, officiated at the event.

The monument features the sculpture of a Civil War-era soldier at the old-style position of parade rest. While carrying a weapon in formation, the position of parade rest was achieved by standing with the right foot slightly forward and the butt of the weapon resting on the ground with both hands gripping it. This is markedly different to today's position of parade rest.

The side of the monument contains the names of all Wayne county residents who died during that war. Many of the names of the fallen have descendants who still live in the the area. There is also an inscription with the year the monument was dedicated and a quote from the Gettysburg Address.

The monument was intended to be the central feature of the park, however, there is also a memorial waterfall which is a companion piece to the monument. This was intended to be dedicated in time for the American Centennial in 1876, but due to lack of funding, wasn't completed until 1879.

Just in front of the Civil War Monument is a time capsule featuring "Honesdale Memories." It was buried in 2001 and is scheduled to be reopened in 2021.

POW/MIA Monument

Just beside the Memorial Fountain is the POW/MIA memorial. This is a modest granite obelisk honoring the nations' Prisoners of War and those Missing In Action (POW/MIA). The monument was placed in the park by both VFW Post 531 and American Legion Post 254. The inscription reads "For those who have given the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country"

Wayne County WWII Memorial

The WWII Memorial stands on the front lawn of the Wayne County Courthouse. Although a street separates Central Park from the Courthouse front lawn, the monument is considered to be part of the park. It is a small granite slab with a bronze placque mounted on it. Placed by the VFW just after WWII, this memorial honors all the men and women who participated in and specifically names those who were killed during the war.

  • Wayside Park, Waymart

On the corner of Belmont Street and PA Route 296 in Waymart sits a little park dedicated to veterans. The Waymart Area Veterans Memorial holds a list of names of each veteran in the area behind a glass-framed display. The list names every veteran killed in action from the Waymart area. The rear of the monument has the words "Freedom is not free" written on it.

The center of the park has a stone tablet that is also dedicated to the dead of all wars. It is placed next to a flag that has the dates of all the conflicts in which local service members were lost. The park's peaceful setting encourages relfection on the service and sacrifices of the local residents. There is a garden at the very entrance to the park with a white, square post mounted at the garden's edge. The phrase "May peace prevail on earth" is hand-painted in different languages on all four sides of the post.


PNG Military Museum © 2009 Web Site by Center State Communications